To: Special Olympics PEI Athletes, Volunteers, and Families
From: Charity Sheehan, Executive Director
CC: SOPEI Board and Staff
Date: March 13, 2020
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Program Suspension
We have been working with our key partners provincially and nationally to monitor the COVID-19 situation. Based upon recent information, Special Olympics PEI has now made the decision to suspend all SOPEI activities, including weekly programs and competitions, other SOPEI sanctioned events, as well as fundraising events, effective immediately, through March 31, 2020. We will reevaluate the situation at that time.
The Special Olympics PEI office will remain open and we will continue to monitor the situation closely and providing updates as needed over the coming weeks. UPDATE: The Special Olympics PEI office will be closing at 4:30 on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Staff will be working from home, and will be available via email.
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is still assessing the risk associated with COVID-19 as low, however based upon what is unfolding in the greater community in terms of suspension of activities, we feel the decision to temporarily suspend SOPEI activities is prudent. At this time, there are no reported cases of the virus connected to Special Olympics PEI.
We can all take steps to prevent the spread of any illness, especially respiratory infections. We encourage you to follow these guidelines as published by the Government of Canada in order to help reduce exposure to the virus and protect your health and the health of those around you:
- Wash your hands often
- Use hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol)
- Do not share water bottles
- Avoid high-fives and handshakes
- Sneeze and cough into your sleeve or tissue
- Disinfect equipment/surfaces as much as possible
- Stay at home if you are sick
For more information, please review:
- Government of PEI website: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/topic/covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0nDI0kFG8y0c90DtWNixUukv4V8nEAO9w9o8R32tCAyV8WiZO5zZBCBTQ
- Government of Canada website on being prepared: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html#a1
We are committed to working to ensure appropriate information is communicated in a timely manner. Your health and safety are top priority, as well as the safety of everyone in our organization. Please feel free to reach out directly to me with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1-902-368-8919.