Athlete Leadership empowers athletes to develop leadership skills and utilize their voices and abilities to undertake meaningful leadership roles, influence change in the Special Olympics movement and create inclusive communities around the world. As athletes gain the confidence that comes with achievement, they feel empowered and ready to take on new challenges to make use of all their abilities.
All across the province our athletes are developing their inner excellence on and off the court. They compete and volunteer at competitions, represent fellow athletes in their area, mentor new athletes, and are public speakers. They are proving that people with intellectual disabilities are vibrant, active, talented members of Special Olympics and in communities in which they participate.
Interested in being an Athlete Leader or a mentor for an athlete leader?
- Click here to access the Athlete Leadership First Steps Guide.
- Click here to access the Alberta Athlete Leadership Handbook. This handbook provides information on potential opportunities as an athlete leader, training sessions that are available to build leadership skills, and worksheets to create an Athlete purpose statement to guide your first steps into the world of Athlete Leadership.
Interested in starting an Athlete Input Council in your community?
- Click here to access the first steps to starting your own local Athlete Input Council.
- What is an Athlete Input Council? This is an opportunity for athlete’s in your community to come together and discuss topics of importance for your area. Come together to be the voice of athletes in your community.
Alberta Athlete Leadership Input Council
- The Alberta Athlete Leadership Input Council currently has 12 members from across the province, representing 7 of 8 regions.
- ALIC elections will be held October 2020 at the Annual General Meeting.
- Regions include: South, South Central, Calgary, Central, North Central, Edmonton, Northeast, Northwest.
Upcoming Athlete Leadership Training Events
Athlete Leadership has gone VIRTUAL! We know how important it is for our athletes to stay connected, now more than ever. And we want to help you do that, safely! Therefore, we’re offering two virtual training opportunities for athletes.
Only 12 spots available per session so register early! A Zoom link will be sent out to all registrants at the email address you provide in the registration form one day prior to the session. If you have any questions, please email Chelsea at email@example.com! Looking forward to learning together!
The “Connecting and Sharing Online” training course, which covers social media, video calls, safety, and more, will be offered on the following dates: This session currently has no scheduled dates.
The “Photography and Videography Online” training course, which covers the basics of how to take a good picture and what to consider when recording video, will be offered on the following dates: This session currently has no scheduled dates.
Register for one of these sessions by filling out this form: https://bit.ly/3fOWXqd