in light of the latest guidance from the provincial and national public health officials, and in order to limit any possible risk to the members of our community, we have made the very difficult decision to pause all training programs, competitions, and all face-to-face meetings and activities until april 30, 2020. we will re-evaluate the situation at that time.
Most health advice can be boiled down to simple behaviors, like eating a balanced diet, exercising and getting good sleep.
During a pandemic like COVID-19, these actions are especially crucial for maintaining your physical and mental well-being. But social distancing complicates things. How are you supposed to eat right when you're are visiting the grocery store less frequently? How can you work out when you're cooped up at home? How to do stay connected with friends when you can't hang out together? How can you sleep when you're anxious about, well, everything?
This page and our social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram will have great information and ideas to Stay Active, Stay Positive, Stay Connected and Stay Informed!!! You will find important information about COVID-19, how to help prevent transmission, what to do if you feel unwell and how to stay safe!
If you have Young Athletes at home and are looking for ideas and information please visit our Young Athletes Facebook Page and see resources below for younger aged individuals.
- Fit 5 - This is a great guide with tons of exercise routines, and tips for healthy eating!
- School of Strength - Introducing a whole new way to exercise, featuring WWE Superstar Becky Lynch
- Virtual Home Workouts - from Special Olympics NL Athlete Jackie Barrett
- Special Olympics Canada YouTube Channel - Several great workout videos
- Online Yoga Classes - Join a local Yoga Instructor from Corner Brook, NL or Hands Free Yoga - No mat required!
- Mindfulness Monday Series - Online guided meditation instruction accessible to all levels, by CAMH
- Bridge the gApp (For Adults)
- Cookspitation Nutriition Month Recipe Book - Several great recipes to try at home!
- Canadian Association Mental Health - Tips for keeping mentally well during this time.
- Read a Book - See here for a an easy read guide about looking after your mental health
- Aspie Diaries - The musings and thoughts from Special Olympics Athlete Leah McDonald
- Easter Egg Hunt 2020 - Virtual Global Easter Egg Hunt
- Window Crafts NL - Weekly Themes to decorate your window during this time!
- Virtual Museum Tours - Facetime or call a friend and enjoy together!
- NL Public Libraries - Start an E-Book Club Challenge with friends or family!
- Netflix Party - You & a friend can enjoy a movie/show together while chatting from the comfort of home!
- Online BoardGames - Virtually grab a friend &enjoy over 100 games like Sushi Go! You have to sign up, but there is no cost!
- Bridge the gApp (For Youth)
COACH / VOLUNTEER RESOURCES
- SO Learn - SO Learn E-Learning Platform
- SONL Coach/Volunteer Resource Page - Several resources for coaches/volunteers related to SONL
- Coaching NL E-Learning - NCCP Courses available through E-Learning
- NCCP E-Learning - Login or create account in The Locker, Click E-Learning
- Aspie Diaries - The musings and thoughts from Special Olympics NL Athlete Leah McDonald
- Virtual Workouts - Special Olympics NL Athlete Jackie Barrett posts virtual workouts from home. Check out his fan page on Facebook
- Healthy Smoothie Recipes - Special Olympics NL Athlete Kevin Wiseman!
- Home Workouts Tip Special Olympics Athlete Andrew "Spiderman" Hynes Follow him on Facebook
- Great Suggestion from Special Olympics NL Athlete Heather Miller
stay informed: COVID-19 INFO
- Public Health Agency of Canada - Up to date information relating to COVID-19
- Government of Newfoundland & Labrador - Up to date NL information relating to COVID-19
- 811 Healthline
- COVID-19 Info for Kids - CDC
- How to talk to your child about COVID-19 - Great resource from Unicef
- Talking to Children about COVID-19 - National Association School of Nurses
- Hand Washing Video - Great visual to help you understand how to correctly wash your hands!
- How to talk to someone with ASD about COVID-19
- Plain language info on COVID-19 - Info written for people with Intellectual Disabilities
- Canadian Red Cross COVID-19 Help Line 1-800-863-6582 - For anyone having issues or concerns regarding self-isolation.
- Available 8:00am - 8:00PM Daily.