Special Olympics BC is dedicated to enriching the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities through sport.
- Inclusion: We foster inclusive communities.
- Diversity: We honour what is unique in each individual.
- Empowerment: We create opportunities to pursue full potential.
- Respect: We operate in an environment of cooperation, collaboration and dignity.
- Excellence: We elevate standards and performance.
In 1980, Special Olympics BC started out with two weekends of games and about 500 participants. Today we provide year-round, high-quality sports programs and competitions for more than 5,200 athletes in 55 communities around the province, with the vital assistance of more than 4,300 trained, dedicated volunteers.
The programs run by SOBC Locals in up to 18 sports and youth programs give athletes the chance to gain sport skills and improve their health while enjoying training that could take them to competitions at local, regional, national, and international levels. But the benefits from Special Olympics BC programs go well beyond the basics: Our athletes experience joy and acceptance, cultivate friendships and self-confidence, and feel empowered to overcome obstacles and achieve their goals.
Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.